Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gran lets shotgun do the talking


Gran lets shotgun do the talking

2010-08-17 22:41
Email article

Mrs Louise Jacobs stands behind the security gate from where she shot and wounded an attacker who broke into her farmhouse. (Denvor de Wee, Beeld)
Galleries · User Galleries · News in Pictures Send us your pictures · Send us your stories
Related Links
Farm attack - killer shot dead
Farm attack gun used for poaching
Jack Russells protect battered owner
Wolfram Zwecker, Beeld
Johannesburg – “I’m going to shoot you,” 77-year-old Louise Jacobs warned her attacker. When he swung his firearm toward her, she didn’t hesitate and let her shotgun do the talking.The shot, which wounded one attacker and made the rest run away brought an attack, which according to Jacobs’ husband, Peet, 81, started on the Friday already, to a stop.“On Saturday morning I realised things had been stolen from my bakkie and that our one dog was sick. We gave him some milk and he was better after a while, but I knew something was going on,” Mr Jacobs said on Tuesday on their farm, about 12km outside Heidelberg on the Vereeniging road.On Monday morning he went to the Heidelberg police station to report Friday night’s theft, when his wife phoned him and said she had just been attacked on the farm and shot one of the attackers.“One of the policemen just said: ‘Go, I’ll organise everything.’ When I got to the farm, they were waiting for me. The police were here, members of the community policing forum and neighbours, the helicopter was in the air and they even had the dogs out here. The police really deserve congratulations for their level of service and how quickly they responded,” said Mr Jacobs.'Enough is enough'According to Mrs Jacobs, one of their workers first said she suspected there were strangers behind the house.“I told her to jump over the electric fence and run, and I went to the bedroom to fetch the shotgun.“The next moment I heard them breaking open the security gate at the front door with a pick axe. Then one of them broke the window next to the front door with a firearm and climbed in.“He was still busy pointing the gun around when I shot – from here, from the security gate at the bedrooms. You can look straight at the front door from here.“He shouted to the others to run and they left in a hurry. Then I phoned my husband,” she says.“A little voice in the back of my head told me to ‘load the shotgun with buckshot’ the previous night,” said Mr Jacobs.According to Thivhulawi Tshilate, police spokesperson at Heidelberg, a 33-year-old Zimbabwean suspect was apprehended in the area. He wasn’t the wounded man.The Toyota Venture in which the five other suspects fled was later found deserted in Rondebult at Dawn Park, Boksburg. The police also found a trail of blood near the vehicle.Mrs Jacobs’ fearlessness in the midst of danger also showed itself a few years ago. A snake was lying next to the dogs bowl, and when she tried to chase it away with stones, it spat in her eye.“But that’s when I decided enough is enough and killed it with a rock before I went to the doctor,” she said.
Read more on: crime farm attacks

No comments:

Post a Comment